All products featured on Vogue are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fortunately, some of the best hair growth products don’t require a treatment with a dermatologist or trichologist—meaning you can achieve thicker, longer hair right at home. With that and the ever-evolving hair-care market in mind, one could imagine there is a vast crop of options available right now. This makes understanding what will actually work that much more difficult. So, we tapped three experts to weigh in on the best hair growth products that will get you your desired results.
Meet the Experts
- Dr. Nazanin Saedi is a Philadelphia-based board-certified dermatologist who specializes in laser surgery and cosmetic dermatology.
- Helen Reavey is a board-certified trichologist, hair stylist, and co-founder of hair wellness brand Act+Acre.
- Dan Hodgdon is the founder and CEO of the hair wellness brand, Vegamour.
Let’s start at the beginning by discussing why someone might be experiencing hair loss—or slow hair growth—in the first place, beginning with gender. “There has been a historic assumption that hair loss is a male concern, and this is reflected in the traditional solutions available,” he continues, which bolsters no surprise that consumers are looking for products that tailor their approach to address female hair loss specifically. “Hair loss in women is incredibly common—over 80% of women will experience hair loss at some point in their lives, and over 40% of alopecia sufferers are women,” Hodgdon says.
“So many different factors can contribute to hair loss,” says Reavey, who lists age, stress levels, diet, illness, hormonal imbalances, or even product buildup as potential causes. She continues that distinguishing the cause of hair loss is key, as treatment methods could vary widely. Hodgdon builds that certain conditions like alopecia or telogen effluvium (temporary hair loss after an episode of severe stress) can also have an impact.
What Are Hair Growth Products
Hodgdon describes this category as “[products] that help promote and support a healthy hair growth cycle”—essentially stimulating the hair follicle. Our experts explain most products look to address a single cause or symptom, which Hodgdon places into one or two categories: topical and ingestible treatments—the latter category Reavey says has seen immense growth to support healthy hair from within.
Why You Should Incorporate Hair Growth Products
“Healthy, long, thick hair is the dream. As a dermatologist, I tell my patients that healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp,” says Saedi. “If you have dandruff, an itchy scalp, or scalp psoriasis, you need to start with addressing this first. If these conditions are chronic, talk to a dermatologist who can help you get on the right path to healing your scalp.”
What’s more, Reavey emphasizes that even your styling choices can play a part in hair loss, especially in certain areas of your scalp. “A person may see their hairline becoming visibly thinner, or that more of their scalp is becoming apparent through their parting,” she notes. “Other common indicators include your ponytail feeling less full or that you are shedding more hair than normal into your brush.”
What Key Ingredients Should You Look For in Hair Growth Products
Whether you’re looking to prevent or treat signs of hair loss, your first step may be consulting with a trusted dermatologist or trichologist to determine the root cause and create a plan of next steps. Saedi recommends prostaglandin analogs to help promote growth or supplementing your diet with biotin.
Aside from prescription formulas, Hodgdon is partial to clean-plant actives, which are at the heart of Vegamour’s lineup. “I recommend using products that ensure these actives are bio-available (readily absorbed by the body) and are included at effective levels,” he says. Of these, he specifically highlights turmeric, topical caffeine, red clover, and mung bean extract, and CBD.
Whereas Reavey recites an approach rooted in the root of hair loss. “If it is hair loss that is tied to environmental factors like stress or poor diet, I would suggest products that include ingredients like peptides, caffeine, rosemary, ginger root, red leaf clover, and basil leaf,” she says in light of these ingredients’ antioxidant properties, along with apple stem cells which can extend the growth phase of our hair follicles. For hair loss as a result of menopause or female/male pattern baldness, she’d recommend incorporating minoxidil. As for supplements to fill any nutritional gaps in your diet, she “would suggest taking a supplement that includes biotin, zinc, selenium, and iron at the least, as these are all minerals necessary for growth.”
Below, 10 hair growth products that experts (and users) recommend to help boost your hair growth potential.
Rahua Founder’s Blend Scalp & Hair Treatment
- Key Benefits: “Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp,” notes Saedi of her approach to spurring growth, starting with a good cleanse and condition, notably Rahua’s hair-care products. “I especially recommend [its] Founder’s Blend Scalp & Hair Treatment to patients dealing with itchy, irritated scalps because its anti-inflammatory effects are known for soothing the scalp and strengthening the hair follicle.” The treatment, which features a blend of plant-powered botanicals from hemp and peppermint oil to green tea, not only stimulates the follicle, but balances the scalp.
- How to Use: Massage the treatment to your scalp and hair—either leaving it in for 15 minutes or overnight. Just be sure to rinse out.
Act + Acre Scalp Detox
- Key Benefits: “An amazing way to promote growth is by implementing a weekly scalp oil into your routine,” says Reavey with Act+Acre’s Scalp Detox in mind—describing it as “an easy-to-use, pre-cleanse oil that gently breaks down sebum, removes buildup and restores balance to the scalp.” In fact, Vogue’s senior beauty editor Lauren Valenti previously wrote that its blend of botanical oils, moringa extract, and baobab and basil leaf transformed her curls.
- How to Use: Just massage the cold-pressed oil into dry scalp pre-cleanse, leave for 20 minutes, then rinse before shampoo, conditioner, and the rest of your regimen.
Hers Minoxidil Solution
- Key Benefits: Again, Reavey recommends minoxidil to combat hair loss associated with menopause or male/female pattern baldness. “This type of hair loss is caused by DHT, an androgen enzyme that is secreted from the hair follicle and causes the hair growth cycle to shorten. Minoxidil helps to block DHT from being secreted, helping to maintain a healthier growth cycle.” Pick up the 2% topical solution “for Her,” or the 5% solution “for Him” to promote new hair growth.
- How to Use: Apply one dropper (equivalent to 1mL) to the affected area twice a day with continued use. The brand cautions against using more than directed or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Vegamour Gro Revitalizing Shampoo and Conditioner Kit
- Key Benefits: Vegamour’s Gro Revitalizing duo is powered by natural actives of mung bean, curcumin, and red clover to support longer, denser hair. What’s more, there’s also vegan keratin, silk proteins, marula oil, organic murumuru butter, and ximenia oil for a nourishing, strengthening cleanse and condition. Think of this as the ultimate start to any hair growth regimen.
- How to Use: Shampoo and condition at your typical cadence, ensuring to massage the scalp with fingers for 60 seconds to help the product absorb into your scalp. This is formulated safe for all hair types and textures—even color-treated strands.
Nutrafol Women Hair Growth Supplement
- Key Benefits: Saedi says that those with hair loss as a result of a deficiency (such as vitamin D, iron, or zinc) can benefit from ingestible supplements. “Ingestibles may not work for everyone experiencing hair loss, but it can’t hurt,” she mentions. These supplements by Nutrafol are one of her favorites. “[This] has vitamin E, which has been shown to help with hair loss and hair damage caused by oxidative stress, which is an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in your body. An overload of free radicals is bad because it can cause damage to fatty tissue, DNA, and proteins in your body.”
- How to Use: Nutrafol recommends taking four capsules, once per day with a meal, to see results in three to six months.
Ceremonia Scalp Massager
- Key Benefits: Because healthy hair starts at the scalp, incorporating a scalp-stimulating tool into your regimen is an essential step. Enter Ceremonia’s Scalp Masajeador. This handheld tool is crafted to gently slough away sebum and product buildup, while improving blood flow to the scalp. Think of it as a deep tissue scalp massage. “We know stress tightens the scalp and impedes circulation and hair growth, so weekly scalp massages are excellent for our overall health and well being,” New York City-based trichologist Bridgette Hill previously tells Vogue.
- How to Use: Apply an oil to your scalp, then massage in for a traditional treatment; or, a shampoo or scalp scrub for a deep clean.
Ouai Hydrating Scalp Serum
- Key Benefits: Hyaluronic acid, arctic root, Siberian ginseng, chaga mushroom, red clover, and peptides are at the heart of Ouai’s Scalp Serum. Thus, this elixir is formulated to balance your scalp and reduce irritation to bring about ideal conditions for hair to grow.
- How to Use: Apply the serum daily to create fuller-looking hair and reduce shedding.
RevitaLash Thickening Shampoo
- Key Benefits: For a shampoo that contains biotin, this RevitaLash formula is for you. Additionally, this formula features a blend of loquat leaf, willow bark, and panthenol to promote optimal scalp health and strengthen cuticles, leaving you with thicker, more voluminous hair.
- How to Use: Apply to wet hair from root to tip; let sit for two minutes, then rinse and follow with its Thickening Conditioner.
Vegamour Gro Biotin Gummies
- Key Benefits: Gummy ingestibles are a no-fuss way to add a dietary supplement to your day—especially because these have a tasty strawberry flavor. Nonetheless, these are packed with biotin, folic acid, and a slew of vitamins and minerals to support the body’s production of collagen and a healthy scalp.
- How to Use: “The most important thing is to stick with your regimen to receive the most optimal results,” says Hodgdon. “Whether you’re massaging a topical growth serum into your scalp every night or washing our biotin gummies down every morning, you have to be consistent.” Here, one gummy per day is all you need.
Grow Gorgeous Hair Density Serum
- Key Benefits: Another Vogue editor favorite is this serum by Grow Gorgeous, which relies on a blend of caffeine, hyaluronic acid, pea sprout extract, and Chinese skullcap to stimulate hair follicles while delivering hydrating and antioxidant benefits essential to a healthy scalp.
- How to Use: Once per day, apply 20 drops directly to the scalp on damp or day hair.