January 26 sequel features ‘Freedom’ song by T.M. Revolution, TM Network member The fourth promotional video for the film project debuted on Sunday. The video announces and previews the theme song “Freedom” by Takanori Nishikawa (the artist also known as T.M. Revolution) with producer t.komuro (Tetsuya Komuro).
2024.1.26 ROAD SHOW🌅
主題歌が「FREEDOM」#西川貴教 with t.komuroに決定‼
第4弾PVは、主題歌を乗せた映像でお届け✨#TakanoriNishikawa #TetsuyaKomuro pic.twitter.com/0lQq5knSkS
— 機動戦士ガンダムSEEDシリーズ (@SEED_HDRP) November 19, 2023
Nishikawa previously performed the theme songs for the television anime and its spinoffs, while Komuro is a member of the TM Network band that performed the ending theme song for the film.
The cast, which features returning and new members, also includes:
- Sōichiro Hoshi as Kira Yamato
- Rie Tanaka as Lacus Clyne
- Akira Ishida as Athrun Zala
- Nanako Mori as Cagalli Yula Athha (replacing Naomi Shindoh)
- Kenichi Suzumura as Shinn Asuka
- Maaya Sakamoto as Lunamaria Hawke
- Fumiko Orikasa as Meyrin Hawke
- Kotono Mitsuishi as Murrue Ramius
- Takehito Koyasu as Mu La Flaga
- Tomokazu Seki as Yzak Jule (or Joule)
- Akira Sasanuma as Dearka Elsman
- Houko Kuwashima as Agnes Giebenrath
- Ayane Sakura as Toyah Mashima
- Houchu Ohtsuka as Alexei Konoe
- Jun Fukuyama as Albert Heinlein
- Michiko Neya as Hilda Haken
- Taiten Kusunoki as Herbert von Reinhard
- Junichi Suwabe as Maas Symeon
From the left to right in the image above, the additional cast members and their characters are:
- Kentarō Tone as Liu Shenqiang
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Daniel Harper
- ??? as Griffin Arbalest
- Hiro Shimono as Orphee Lam Tao
- Yukari Tamura as Aura Maha Khyber
- Sumire Uesaka as Ingrid Tradoll
- Misato Fukuen as Redelard Tradoll
- Yūichi Nakamura as Shura Serpentine
The staff has not revealed the cast member for the character Griffin Arbalest.
The film will open in Japan on January 26, 2024. The story is chronologically set in C.E. (Cosmic Era) 75.
director Mitsuo Fukuda is directing the film at Bandai Namco Filmworks. Fukuda also co-wrote the script along with his late wife Chiaki Morosawa and Liu Goto. Hisashi Hirai () is designing the characters.
Other staff members include:
- Mechanical Design: Kunio Okawara, Kimitoshi Yamane, Kazutaka Miyatake, Junichi Akutsu, Manabu Shintani, Shiba Zen, Takuya Io, Hiroyuki Taiga
- Mechanical Animation Director: Satoshi Shigeta
- Color Key Artist: Akemi Nagao
- Art Directors: Shigemi Ikeda, Yukiko Maruyama
- CG Directors: Mitsuhiro Sato, Kensuke Kujida, Tomohiro Fujie
- Monitor Works: Azusa Tamura, Jirō Kageyama
- Compositing Director of Photography: Takeshi Katsurayama, Shigenori Toyooka
- Editing: Yukiko Nojiri
- Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino
- Music: Toshihiko Sahashi
The film project is part of the Project ignited initiative, which was announced in 2021. The initiative commemorates the 20th anniversary of the original anime in 2022, and it has several parts. The initiative also includes a new game and the Eclipse side-story manga.
director Mitsuo Fukuda confirmed that the film is a sequel to the second television anime, .
The first television anime aired from 2002 to 2003, followed by from 2004 to 2005. The three-part anime project followed in 2006. Sony Music Anime Festival ’06 announced the planned film project in May 2006.
Chiaki Morosawa, the head scriptwriter for the two series, passed away at the age of 56 in 2016. She had been collaborating with her husband, who directed both television series, on the planned film project. Morosawa had explained in 2008 that the plot for the project was completed, but that she had been ill since the end of the sequel in 2005.
Update: Typo fixed. Thanks, Rob19ny.
Disclosure: Bandai Namco Filmworks Inc. (Sunrise) is a non-controlling, minority shareholder in Anime News Network Inc.