Netflix began streaming a trailer to announce an anime adaptation of Uru Okabe‘s manga on Monday, and revealed its October 12 premiere. The anime’s staff also revealed its key visual, main staff, cast, and theme songs.
The anime stars (not all character name romanizations are confirmed):
- Daisuke Hirose as Ichi / Taichirō Arima
- Nobunaga Shimazaki as AAAAA / Asuma Arima
- Akio Ōtsuka as Shirō Akabane / Kojirō Arima
- Aya Endo as May / Sayaka Arima
- Aoi Yūki as Pico
- Ryohei Kimura as Leon
- Hiroki Nanami as Sasumata
- Kenjiro Tsuda as Shigatera
- Rie Takahashi as Hana Kamuro
- Inori Minase as Aya Arima
The anime will stream exclusively worldwide on Netflix on October 12. Netflix describes the anime:
In the online game “Planet,” there is a powerful team of four players.
This team goes by the name “The Akabane Family,” and its members are a pseudo-family that only exists in the game.
Although they aren’t aware of it, these four players are actually a broken family in real life.
A shut-in older brother. A high-achieving younger brother. A father who is not respected by his own children. A mother who neglects her own household.
They do not know the warmth of family. They also don’t know that the warmth of their online family is only a passing feeling.
And most of all, they don’t know they are a real family.
Centered on the deeds of the Akabane Family in the online game “Planet,” the story features battles against monsters, clashes with other guilds, and the machinations surrounding “Black Bird,” the final objective of the game.
The tale takes a major turn as it entangles the real world and this real family.
Katsuya Kikuchi (, ) is directing the anime at NAZ. Michiko Yokote (, , , ) is writing and overseeing the series scripts. Rena Okuyama (, ) is designing the characters, and Takatsugu Wakabayashi (, ) is composing the music. VTuber artist Kuzunoha will perform the anime’s opening theme song “Black Crack,” and VTuber vocal duo Nornis will perform the ending theme song “salvia.”
Additional staff includes:
- Chief Animation Directors: Rena Okuyama, Chinami Sekine, Haruka Sanefuji
- Main Animators: Kazuo Takigawa, Shingo Nakamura
- Monster Design: Kazuo Takigawa
- Prop Design: Akira Otsuka
- Art Design: Ryusuke Shiino
- Color Design: Yukiko Ario
- In-Between Director: Yukie Kaneko
- Director of Photography: Ryō Itō
- CG Director: Kunihiko Mita
- Sound Director: Chikako Yokota
- Sound Effects: Katsuhiro Nakajima
- Editing: Rina Koguchi (IMAGICA EMS)
- Producer: Yasuo Suda
- Production Desk: Nobuo Takagi
- Sound Production: Sonilude
Okabe launched the manga on Shogakukan‘s service in 2016. Shogakukan published the manga’s first compiled book volume in April 2016, and its fifth and final volume in March 2017. Okabe will launch the End prequel manga on Shogakukan‘s website on August 1 at midnight JST.
Sources: Netflix Anime’s YouTube channel, anime’s website